newbie question basic passwd authentication

Ramses van Pinxteren ramses at niob.knaw.nl
Tue Jul 5 10:00:57 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am a complete newbie with radius. I need to configure this for use
with a PPTP VPN. The end goal will be that radius is running on a
fedora box, and authenticates against a SMBPASSWD file. PPTPd needs
chap.

but I am getting ahead of myself, irst I need to get a basic system
working. I installed the freeradius rpm, and tried to configure some
things:

file clients.conf:
client 127.0.0.1 {
	secret = testing123
	shortname = localhost
	nastype = other
}
client 192.168.1.0/24 {
	secret = testing123
	shortname = localnet
}

File naslist:
localhost	local	other

File users:
nothing changed, all seemed oke to me.

file radius.conf:
cutted away some text
unix {
	cache = no
	cache_reload = 600
	passwd = /etc/passwd
	shadow = /etc/shadow
	group = /etc/group
}

When I now start the daemon as root:
# radiusd -sfxxyz -l stdout.

When I tried to test it from the console again:
radtest ramses "OfCourseThisShouldBeSomethingLessObvious" localhost 1
testing123
I see this at my console:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:32769, id=122, length=58
         User-Name = "ramses"
         User-Password = "OfCourseThisShouldBeSomethingLessObvious"
         NAS-IP-Address = 255.255.255.255
         NAS-Port = 1
   Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
   modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
   modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
   modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
     rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "ramses", looking up realm NULL
     rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
   modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
   rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
   modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
     users: Matched DEFAULT at 152
   modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
   Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 0
rlm_unix: [ramses]: invalid password
   modcall[authenticate]: module "unix" returns reject for request 0
modcall: group authenticate returns reject for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 122 to 127.0.0.1:32769
Waking up in 4 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 122 with timestamp 42ca3387
Nothing to do.  Sleeping until we see a request.

Ofcourse I tripple checked the typed in password, and I could find
nothing wrong with that one.

Now I think all I can do is shoult: HELPPPPPPP adoes anyone have any ideas?

kind regards,

Ramses