FreeRADIUS v1.0.4, rlm_ldap module, and redundancy

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Jul 13 20:20:13 CEST 2005

Zawacki Jason D Ctr AFRL/IFOS <Jason.Zawacki.ctr at rl.af.mil> wrote:
> I've been trying to get this to work, but it appears, to me, that the
> redundancy is only used for part of the auth process.

  What "auth" process?  Authorize or authenticate?

>   When looking up the
> DN for the user who is trying to authenticate, redundancy works.

  During the "authorize" stage.

>  After that
> though, it appears that only the first module in the redundant list is
> tried.

  Which redundant list?  You listed two.

> authenticate {
>     Auth-Type LDAP {
>         redundant {		# wasn't sure if this was necessary
>             svr1

  If you want redundancy for authentication, you can list that.

> I test by simulating a failure of svr1 using:

  Ok.  The debug log shows:

>   modcall[authorize]: module "svr1" returns fail for request 0
>   modcall[authorize]: module "svr3" returns fail for request 0
>   modcall[authorize]: module "svr2" returns ok for request 0

  So the redundancy in the "authorize" section works.

> rlm_ldap::ldap_groupcmp: Search returned error

  You're using the LDAP-Group attribute, which is set to use svr1,
which is down.  There's currently no fail-over for the LDAP-Group
attribute.