Running radiusd as an unprivileged user

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Wed Jun 1 23:29:52 CEST 2005

Hi Andrey.

Edit your radiusd.conf and uncomment:
#user = nobody
#group = nobody

You can manually add new users the radius will run as. Propaly the easiest way is to run vipw and copy line from some other service, change the uid, gid and the username, edit /etc/group and put there your group as well.

Something like this should do on FreeBSD:
radiusd:*:101:101::0:0:Radius Daemon:/var/log/radius:/usr/sbin/nologin

Or Linux
radiusd:x:101:101:Radius Daemon:/var/log/radius:/bin/false

and in /etc/group
radiusd:*:101:

chown -R radiusd:radiusd your log file and propaly the config files

Then it should look something like:

#ps auxww | grep rad
radiusd 81708  0.0  1.0  9316  4944  ??  Ss   11:26PM   0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/radiusd

Cheers,
Marcin