Running radiusd as an unprivileged user

Andrey andrey at latestwave.com
Thu Jun 2 15:24:53 CEST 2005

> Hi Andrey.
>
> Edit your radiusd.conf and uncomment:
> #user = nobody
> #group = nobody

done that.

> You can manually add new users the radius will run as. Propaly the
> easiest way is to run vipw and copy line from some other service,
> change the uid, gid and the username, edit /etc/group and put there
> your group as well.

have that.

> Something like this should do on FreeBSD:
> radiusd:*:101:101::0:0:Radius Daemon:/var/log/radius:/usr/sbin/nologin
>
> Or Linux
> radiusd:x:101:101:Radius Daemon:/var/log/radius:/bin/false
>
> and in /etc/group
> radiusd:*:101:
>
> chown -R radiusd:radiusd your log file and propaly the config files

chowned the log and config files.

> Then it should look something like:
>
> #ps auxww | grep rad
> radiusd 81708  0.0  1.0  9316  4944  ??  Ss   11:26PM   0:00.01
> /usr/local/sbin/radiusd
>
> Cheers,
> Marcin

RESULT: It looks like it's working, but it doesn't authenticate anybody. It
doesn't necessarily give an Access-Reject, but it also doesn't let anyone stay
online. Lets users log in and then kicks them off 15 seconds later. Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions.