Radius attributes necessary for PPP connection into Cisco modem-bank

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Jun 16 21:15:51 CEST 2005

Mike Partyka <Mike.Partyka at jumpnode.com> wrote:..

  Please don't CC me.  I already get enough mail.

> The modem dials out to the Cisco modem bank, the modem bank (i am
> guessing here, as i am not this far) is configured to authenticate
> against Radius. Radius is configured to talk to Mysql and uses a
> query that checks the username/password, based on the exit status it
> accepts or denies the connection request to the modem.

  Yes... (barring the "exit status" confusion)

> As i said my PPP knowledge is weak, but isn't what i described part
> of the PAP/CHAP handshake process that Radius is configured to use?

  No.  Your model does PPP, as does the other end.  You do PAP/CHAP
over PPP.  The other end takes that PAP/CHAP, and puts it into RADIUS.

  *Your* end never sees the RADIUS packets, and never talks to the
MySQL server.  You original post made it sound like that's what you
wanted to do.

  If you control the Cisco modem bank and the RADIUS server, then you
can configure the RADIUS server to send the "right" attributes back to
the Cisco bank.

  It SHOULD do this by default.  Also, consult the Cisco documentation
to see what attributes it needs to establish a PPP connection, and
then make FreeRADIUS send those attributes.