pam_radius_auth on AIX 5L

David LePage dwlepage at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 02:54:30 CEST 2005

Let me answer my own question.. 4 days later I found that my problem was
within the default "ld" statements in the Makefile. I found a command that
will compile the module successfully on AIX 5L:

Download the Linux Toolset for AIX, then:

To build pam_radius:

       - change to the md5.h file. Change line 18 from:
           #define uint32 u_int32_t
           #define uint32 uint32_t
       - in md5.c, insert to line 38 (before any #include lines)
           #define __sparc
       - in pam_radius_auth.h, line 60, insert after the comment section
but
         before "#ifdef sun":
            #define sun

Modify the Makefile

Find this line:
pam_radius_auth.so: pam_radius_auth.o md5.o ld –Bshareable
pam_radius_auth.o md5.o –lpam –o pam_radius_auth.so

And replace with:

pam_radius_auth.so: pam_radius_auth.o md5.o
	ld -o pam_radius_auth.so pam_radius_auth.o md5.o -bexpall -bM:SRE
-bnoentry -lc

That seemed to do it. It now works on AIX 5L after creating a pam.conf and
installing SSHD with the "--with-pam" option enabled.