Attribute Value length using SQL

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Sat Nov 5 03:27:58 CET 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:
>"Gunther" <freeradius at caribsms.com> wrote:
>> I was trying to change the AV lenght from 253 to 1024, but radius is
>> simply cutting off after the limit, resulting in an error in the log
>> file (MYSQL check_error: 1054).
>
>  RADIUS has a maximum attribute length of 253.  You CAN NOT change it.
>
>  Alan DeKok.

Thanks! Yes, I see it in rfc2138 (0-253 octets) ... But isn't the feature
I am talking about more part of the expression module and enhanced
functionality of FreeRadius?

I was reading in the Changelog:
* Preliminary 'expression' module, to allow you to do cool things
	  like:    Session-Timeout = `%{expr:3600 - %{sql:SELECT ...}}`

I saw that and started using it ... more and more.

The result of the SQL statement is not supposed to be longer than 253, but
the
actual statement could be much longer.
I actually changed the MAX_STRING_LEN size from 254 to 762 in
include/libradius.h
and it seems to work. Have to do more testing. But I am not really fond of
the
fact that I change the max string length for everything in FreeRadius. I
would prefer
to have just some extended space for sql statements for users who are using
that
feature. But if you tell me that is not the way to go ... I would need to
look
for another way. These SQL statements are just very convenient.

Thanks!
Gunther