FreeBSD anyone?

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Sat Nov 5 07:21:44 CET 2005

> Hi, im running freeradius 1.0.5  + postgres 8.0.3  on a dual xeon, gentoo
> 2005.1,  all is working ok, but  i have  another server with the same
> hardware specs that i recently  "upgraded" from  gentoo to freebsd 5.3, the
> server was running apache + postgres and, wow , great diference, better
> performance, so postgres definitely liked freebsd, what about freeradius?, i
> have read on the website that it is developed on debian but it compiles on
> freebsd, what is your experience with freebsd , good?, bad? , any gotchas?.
> Should i migrate to freebsd or stay with gentoo?, my personal preference is
> bsd, but im worried of any obscure future that only works on linux api's ,etc

Been using freeradius on freebsd exclusively for several years now.
Started with freeradius .8 on freebsd 4.6 I think.

Now, I'm running freeradius 1.0.5 on freebsd 5.4.  We handle about 75,000
logins per day between 3 servers and are using openldap as a backend,
which stores about 400,000 users.  We use radrelay to push all the
accounting into a mysql db.

Its been working perfectly, no issues ever with freeradius or freebsd
(can't say the same for harddrives and motherboards though - so you should
build redundancy into your architecture).

I'm going to write up our architecture one of these days and I'll submit a
copy to freeradius, but I'm re-designing everything right now to keep
recent, add more redundancy, and simply things.  So I've been too busy.
  There is an old document of the original system I put in, in the doc
folder called ldap_howto.txt.

Anyway, I'd suggest installing freeradius from the freebsd ports tree
since they've got the most recent version in there right now.  The ports
are just so easy to maintain.  However, I do have it running on a few
machines compiled from source before the ports tree was updated.

Anyway, I'm on the list and read it often, so if you've got freebsd
specific questions, feel free to ask.

-Dusty Doris

BTW this is fun to look at.

Below is the last of our old systems, that I haven't replaced yet.  Will
be doing so in the next few weeks, though.  I don't think I've ever
touched them more than a few times and only to make config changes.
They're just proxy radius servers and only get about 1000-2000 logins per
day from some old systems and proxy everything over to our 3 real servers,
but I still like the stats.

[root at proxy-radius2:~] # radiusd -v
radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 0.8.1, for host i386-unknown-freebsd4.7, built
on Mar 26 2003 at 14:36:24

[root at proxy-radius2:~] # w
  1:03AM  up 932 days, 15:06, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

[root at proxy-radius2:~] # uname -sr
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE

----

[root at proxy-radius1:~] # radiusd -v
radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 0.8.1, for host i386-unknown-freebsd4.8, built
on May 13 2003 at 13:06:20

[root at proxy-radius1:~] # uname -sr
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE

[root at proxy-radius1:~] # w
  1:08AM  up 903 days, 17:49, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
root             p0       172.20.1.209      1:08AM     - w