mysql.sock moved and cannot be found by freeradius !

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Tue Nov 8 10:39:19 CET 2005

Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Nicolas Baradakis wrote:
>
> > > If you are going to make a change in freeradius to cope with this don't
> > > waste time trying to read the my.cnf file as you wont know where it is
> > > with any certainty.
> >
> > This is a one-line-change in FreeRADIUS: we just tell to the libmysqlclient
> > to search and read the file "my.cnf" in its own predefined locations.
>
> There is no predefined location. That's the problem that the original
> poster has run into - you can have the files anywhere you like and people
> do.

This is just not true. MySQL programs read startup options from the
following files: /etc/my.cnf, /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf, ~/.my.cnf
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/option-files.html

> > > Instead have a section in the sql.conf to specify the mysql socket file.
> >
> > We may run into the same problem later with a different option: I don't
> > want to have an entry for each and every Mysql specific option in the
> > file "sql.conf".
>
> And how many sql options are appropriate? It's only those needed for a
> client connection and other than socket file location they are already all
> present as options in the sql.conf file.

There are many options for a client connection. For example, the timeout
options would be very useful, too.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysql-options.html

> It seems counter to good practice (ie keep it simple) to make things more
> complicated than simply adding an option to the file you already use to
> configure the sql connection and options.

I think we have enough options in "sql.conf" for normal use. More options
will confuse the users, or confuse the people who are using a database
server different from MySQL.

--
Nicolas Baradakis