Framed-Route and proxying

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue Nov 8 13:11:43 CET 2005

Jason Frisvold wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking for a way to force certain users through a proxy.  I
> *think* Framed-Routes are the way to go.  Can someone help me out a
> little?

Framed-Route instructs the NAS to install a route as described by the
value, to the dialed up user. (at least that what my nas's do)

So in and of itself, I do not think it will accomplish any sort of
forced proxying.

When you say force do you mean

* does not work unless they are configured to use proxy X

This would generally be a function of ACL which can be configured in
different ways. Using Framed-Route or Framed-IP-Address may be usefull
to you for that.

* transparent proxying

If you combine Framed-Route and/or Framed-IP-Address with policy routing
(or natting) or "vrf" tables, you will probably achieve your goal. But
your use of Framed-Route may not be required at all.