Running as root to authenticate against system accounts..

Kevin Hanser kevin at mica.net
Thu Nov 10 20:31:40 CET 2005

Hello,

I've recently been looking into getting a FreeRADIUS server to
authenticate against the system passwd file.  When I was originally
testing, it always seemed to reject my access, no matter what I tried.
So I did some searching on the lists, and found another person that was
having a similar issue.  They discovered that the system only allows
root to read the shadow password file, so when radius was requesting the
password, it would get rejected.

So I changed my setup to run the radiusd daemon as root, and tested
again.  Sure enough, if radiusd is run as root, I can authenticate
against the system.

So now my question is:  What security concerns should I have if I run
the radiusd as root?  Is there another way to do this that doesn't
require radiusd to run as root?

Basically, I just want to make sure this is the best way to authenticate
against system accounts, or if there's some other method that I've missed :)

thx!