FR1.0.5: EAP + LDAP + crypted passwds ??

aab+freeradius at drexel.edu aab+freeradius at drexel.edu
Mon Nov 14 16:45:27 CET 2005

Ok, I skimmed through the mailing list notes last night (mostly via
Google) and found a number of notes that said it was only possible
to do EAP authentications against an LDAP server if the server has
either cleartext passwords or NT hashes in it.  Some of those notes
were very old and the ldap_howto.txt doc is also rather old with no
reference of 802.1x, so I'm hoping to get an updated answer.

My LDAP choices are the AD domain controllers and our iPlanet LDAP
servers - the iPlanet servers have crypted passwords and no NT hash
info, so I believe they're out of this(?)  The AD LDAP might have a
way for me to make use of PEAP or TTLS, but I'm running into a bit
of trouble with the user binding at this time.

I'm back to reading, but figured I'd include my AD/LDAP config just
in case someone sees something blindingly wrong with it.

andrew.

:radiusd.conf:

   ldap {
        server = "domaincon.test.drexel.edu"
        basedn = "dc=drexel,dc=edu"
        filter = "(sAMAccountName=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
        start_tls = no
        dictionary_mapping = ${raddbdir}/ldap.attrmap
        ldap_connections_number = 5
        timeout = 4
        timelimit = 3
        net_timeout = 1
   }

:eap.conf:
                tls {
                #       private_key_password = whatever
                        private_key_file = ${raddbdir}/certs/keycert.pem
                        certificate_file = ${raddbdir}/certs/keycert.pem
                        CA_file = ${raddbdir}/certs/cacert.pem
                        dh_file = ${raddbdir}/certs/dh
                        random_file = ${raddbdir}/certs/random
                        fragment_size = 1024