Expired system passwords are still authenticating

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Nov 17 18:54:14 CET 2005

Are you expiring passwords are expiring accounts?

This doesn't apply to you, but maybe there's an equiv in linux:

>From FreeBSD pw(8)

USER LOCKING

      The pw utility supports a simple password locking mechanism for
users; it works by prepending the string `*LOCKED*' to the beginning of
the pass- word field in master.passwd to prevent successful
authentication.
       The lock and unlock commands take a user name or uid of the account
to lock or unlock, respectively.  The -V, -C, and -q options as described
above are accepted by these commands.

---

Then just write a cron job that locks expired accounts / expired
passwords.

~BAS

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Mark Tunnell wrote:

>>   rlm_unix probably doesn't look at the expiry time of the password.
>>
>>   Alan DeKok.
>
> Is there an alternative mechanism I could employ that does?
>
> Mark
> - List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

l8*
 	-lava

x.25 - minix - bitnet - plan9 - 110 bps - ASR 33 - base8