wireless+freeradius+AD

Lewis Bergman lbergman at wtxs.net
Mon Nov 21 05:32:21 CET 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:
>   You choose which group you fall into.  I don't have time to care
> what you think about me.
I remember when I was very new to Linux. I had made an incredibly stupid
basic networking mistake and was trying to find out why a specific Linux
ethernet driver was "acting up". The esteemed Donald Becker expressed
his amazement, in a funny way, in regard to why anyone would want to
design something so inherently evil and no driver should handle it
without error.

I then went on a tirade instructing him on why I would want to do this
and why he should "fix" his broken driver. I can only hope it wasn't on
a public list so my exact stupidity isn't recorded for all time.

But, as time went on, I learned how ignorant I really was, and have made
a point of tracking down developers of tools I use (likely freeradius
and even useradd) and thanking them even if I have just used the tool
and not needed help with it.

So I guess the moral of the story is that one day, he'll look back on
this list and realize how stupid and indignant he was. So many people
new to open source seem to believe they are owed not only the source but
free support for it without much effort on their part to actually test a
hypothesis and dig for an answer.

For my part, you have personally helped me and I appreciate it.