Freeradius How to integrate Active Directory [AD Integration WindowsXP NTLM Tutorial]

Alhagie Puye APuye at datawave.com
Thu Nov 24 01:09:43 CET 2005

This is a great howto.

Here is my scenario. I have a Windows2k DC that I would like to
authenticate against. I have a Cisco VPN 3005 Concentrator that will be
terminating VPN's. I would like to use FreeRADIUS to lock the users into
groups and authenticate them against AD.

I have followed the steps in the howto and everything seems to work fine
but FreeRADIUS is ignoring "MS-CHAP". I'm using ntradping....maybe
that's a wrong utility for this instance.

Here is the output from the test given in the howto

server ~ # ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=DOMAIN --username=apuye
password:
NT_STATUS_OK:

My question is...can I use Active Directory if I need to use attribute
25 on FreeRADIUS?

If so, how do I make sure that FreeRADIUS uses on MS-CHAP for an
authentication method?

Output from debug mode:

server ~ # /usr/sbin/radiusd -X
Starting - reading configuration files ...
reread_config:  reading radiusd.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/proxy.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/clients.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/snmp.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/eap.conf
Config:   including file: /etc/raddb/sql.conf
 main: prefix = "/usr"
 main: localstatedir = "/var"
 main: logdir = "/var/log/radius"
 main: libdir = "/usr/lib"
 main: radacctdir = "/var/log/radius/radacct"
 main: hostname_lookups = no
 main: max_request_time = 30
 main: cleanup_delay = 5
 main: max_requests = 1024
 main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
 main: port = 0
 main: allow_core_dumps = no
 main: log_stripped_names = no
 main: log_file = "/var/log/radius/radius.log"
 main: log_auth = no
 main: log_auth_badpass = no
 main: log_auth_goodpass = no
 main: pidfile = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
 main: user = "radiusd"
 main: group = "radiusd"
 main: usercollide = no
 main: lower_user = "no"
 main: lower_pass = "no"
 main: nospace_user = "no"
 main: nospace_pass = "no"
 main: checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
 main: proxy_requests = yes
 proxy: retry_delay = 5
 proxy: retry_count = 3
 proxy: synchronous = no
 proxy: default_fallback = yes
 proxy: dead_time = 120
 proxy: post_proxy_authorize = yes
 proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 security: max_attributes = 200
 security: reject_delay = 1
 security: status_server = no
 main: debug_level = 0
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this will go away soon.
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/lib
Module: Loaded exec
 exec: wait = yes
 exec: program = "(null)"
 exec: input_pairs = "request"
 exec: output_pairs = "(null)"
 exec: packet_type = "(null)"
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
 pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
 mschap: use_mppe = yes
 mschap: require_encryption = no
 mschap: require_strong = no
 mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = yes
 mschap: passwd = "(null)"
 mschap: authtype = "MS-CHAP"
 mschap: ntlm_auth = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key
--domain=%{mschap:NT-Domain} --username=%{mschap:User-Name}
--challenge=%{mschap:Challenge:-00}
--nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}"
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
 unix: cache = no
 unix: passwd = "(null)"
 unix: shadow = "(null)"
 unix: group = "(null)"
 unix: radwtmp = "/var/log/radius/radwtmp"
 unix: usegroup = no
 unix: cache_reload = 600
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
 eap: default_eap_type = "md5"
 eap: timer_expire = 60
 eap: ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
 eap: cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
 gtc: challenge = "Password: "
 gtc: auth_type = "PAP"
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
 mschapv2: with_ntdomain_hack = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type mschapv2
Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
Module: Loaded preprocess
 preprocess: huntgroups = "/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
 preprocess: hints = "/etc/raddb/hints"
 preprocess: with_ascend_hack = no
 preprocess: ascend_channels_per_line = 23
 preprocess: with_ntdomain_hack = no
 preprocess: with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
 preprocess: with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
Module: Loaded realm
 realm: format = "suffix"
 realm: delimiter = "@"
 realm: ignore_default = no
 realm: ignore_null = no
Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
 acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
Module: Loaded detail
 detail: detailfile =
"/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"
 detail: detailperm = 384
 detail: dirperm = 493
 detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
Module: Loaded radutmp
 radutmp: filename = "/var/log/radius/radutmp"
 radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
 radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
 radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
 radutmp: perm = 384
 radutmp: callerid = yes
Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
Listening on authentication *:1812
Listening on accounting *:1813
Listening on proxy *:1814
Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host x.y.w.z:3998, id=17, length=45
        User-Name = "user"
        User-Password = "password"
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "user", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 17 to x.y.w.z:3998
Waking up in 4 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 17 with timestamp 4384fa04
Nothing to do.  Sleeping until we see a request.

Thanks,

Alhagie Puye - Network Engineer
Datawave Group of Companies
(604)295-1817

Disclaimer: This message (including any attachments) is confidential, may be privileged and is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system.  Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  E-mail communications are inherently vulnerable to interception by unauthorized parties and are susceptible to change.  We will use alternate communication means upon request.