CHAP Problems

Christopher Carver ccarver at pennswoods.net
Thu Nov 24 14:10:57 CET 2005

radius at kingmanaz.net wrote:

>I have tried to hire someone to help with my Radius over the last 6 month's
>but have not been able to get it
>working correctly.

As much as I would like to take your money, its probably not necessary.
:-)   This is usually a very simple thing to get working.

>I seem to be getting answers from my MySql database but when a CHAP request
>comes in, it will not authorize and ells us Auth-Type already set.

Make sure the op column is set to ":=" for Auth-Type attribute in your
mysql db.  This will ensure that the Auth-Type you set there will
override any previous.  This is definitely one problem your having.  Its
indicated by this error message in debugging:

rlm_chap: WARNING: Auth-Type already set. Not setting to CHAP

You must make sure this is fixed and CHAP is being used.  This is the
first problem to solve.  You can see that next in the auth section its
trying to use rlm_unix.  That means something is setting the Auth-Type
to system.  It looks like its getting set to Local also.  Also be
particular about the ordering of your modules in the Authorize {} block
of radiusd.conf as well.  These modules are called in descending order.
This could be the source of your incorrect Auth-Type setting.  Solve
this problem and write back with any new errors or problems.

-Chris Carver