Freeradius - Where to start and where to get the righ answer

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Sat Oct 1 09:13:31 CEST 2005

After using FR 1.0.5 for testing for a while with a FR+MySQL configuration,
I found out the
hard way that documentation is not a pet project of FR. The only up-to-date
documentation
I found so far is reading the source code for hours, days, weeks ...
There are lots of features I could not find anywhere in any kind of
documentation, but
in the source code, e.g. positional parameters for the SQL nas table.
Or you can use the IP or domain name within the nas table for the 'nasname'.
What happens to dynamic DNS addresses? etc....

Anyhow, it is a nice piece of software, working most of the times very well!

Additional guidance, a wiki or ... could be extremely helpful for the
project ... maybe
it even exists somewhere. I found my way around, but I am kind of stuck when
it comes
to the accounting records. Sometimes I simply do not get a stoptime and
therefore the session
is supposed to be still online. I can then take maybe the idle time, add it
to the last
startime and see if it makes 'sense'. I had 4+ records with empty starttime
for a nas.

All I like to do for instance ...
- User got 24h (or other time period) allocated
- When session ends an updated record for the next session time could be
generated
- When user logs in again, the remaining session time will be granted
But what happens when radacct does not get the stoptime for the last
session?

Anyhow, is there anything, anywhere (up-to-date) where I can find further
information?
Going through ever source file is quite a time consuming act.

Anyhow, Open Source is best ... I can apply changes without requesting a
license change ;-)
And where can you directly communicate with the developers ...

Thanks!
G.