FreeRadius Logging Abilities

Chuck chuck at pathworx.com
Sun Oct 2 00:30:16 CEST 2005

I am totally lost here.

I am getting this type entry in my radius.log listing the radius server
contacting us.

Sat Oct  1 12:05:07 2005 : Auth: Login OK: [user at domain] (from client
upstream-radius5 port 7490 cli 2199340456) and I have a lot of useless (to
us) account log directories in the radacct logging directory.

What I want to do is lower the amount of detail in the accounting logs to a
single file that can be rotated or just do away with it. We run 90% as a
proxy server anyway, and the accounting tables in the database provide us
with any reports we need.

What i want to see in radius.log is an entry like this showing the nas-ip
host/node name instead of radius client:

Fri Sep 30 20:04:37 2005: Auth: Login OK: [user at domain] (from nas
nas5.tempe1.az.us.da.qwest.net/S7428) socket 0 (0 sec)

I have searched through the examples and text in every config file in
the /etc/raddb and cannot find a way to accomplish this. The FreeRadius
logging options look quite powerful so I am assuming there is a reasonably
easy way of doing this that I am missing and/or not comprehending.

I tried commenting out the detail area to eliminate accounting logs, but then
radius complained bitterly about not having a detail section.

Any clues how to accomplish this goal? The wanted format for radius.log is an
absolute must. The entire log is useless to us showing the contacting radius
client. We need to know the network node they dialed into.

--

Chuck