What's Up Gold and Freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Tue Oct 4 17:32:07 CEST 2005

"Linda Pagillo" <linda at n2thenet.com> wrote:
> I forgot to add this... I don't mean  to question your knowledge because i
> know you are the programmer, but you said that the shared secret on the
> RADIUS client is wrong. Wouldn't this cause radius not to respond to What's
> Up Gold all the time instead of only some of the time? Thanks again.

  If the shared secret is wrong, then the server can't tell (due to
poor design of the RADIUS protocol), and it will respond with
Access-Reject.

  But yes, if you don't change the configuration of the server or the
client, then the behavior should always be the same.  I don't know why
it's different.

  The log message you posted, however, is pretty definitive.  Nonsense
characters in the password are almost always caused by an incorrect
shared secret.