Freeradius from inetd

Adharsh P adharshp.enc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:20:30 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I am trying to start radiusd from inetd.conf.

The entry in inetd.conf
 radius        dgram        udp      wait        root
/usr/local/sbin/radiusd radiusd

I have added the entries in /etc/services/ as

radius             1812/udp
radacct             1813/udp

when I reload inetd, the logs say
inetd[940]: /usr/local/sbin/radiusd: exit status (1)

netstat -n  displays *1812 but not *1813
udp      120      0  *.1812                    *.*

however radiusd is not accepting any request from the localhost using
radclient/radtest.

However, when I run radiusd from the command line  /usr/local/sbin/radiusd
radiusd starts and accepts requests.

netstat -n displays
udp        0      0  *.1812                    *.*
udp        0      0  *.1813                    *.*

I am not able to understand when using inetd, radiusd doesn't start.
Am I missing something ? Do I have to modify anything in the
configuration files ? I tried looking in the docs and archives,  there
is no mention on this. Could you please guide me, or give some
pointers on where to look for.

regards,
adharsh.