802.1x client question

Yuri Francalacci yuri.francalacci at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 00:09:51 CEST 2005

On 10/10/05, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at multinet.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2005 22:08 schrieb Adam KOSA:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > this question may be off-topic, but the windows list i was asking could
> > not help.
> >
> > i set up a 802.1x wired authentication in an ethernet network, with all
> > of the following: eap-tls, eap-md5, eap-peap, with freeradius.
> >
> > everything is working great except one thing: 2k and xp is not able to
> > cache the authentication info. with the certificate, the most i could
> > achieve that when logging on, the auth is automatic. but no network
> > until i log on.
> >
> > this is not a radius problem, since the radius and the authentication
> > process is working great. the reason i'm writing is maybe some of you
> > have solved this problem and could help me please. how am i supposed to
> > configure the client to remember the password? I'm open to any
> > solution, even to forget eap-* and use something less secure.
> >
> > thanks
> > Adam
>
> Forget M$. Windooze is not able to do authentication BEFORE logon. Only
> after
> logon the possibilty to authenticate to the network exists. So much to the
> logic of M$.
>
> Use some 3rd party tool. I had good experience with Meetinghouse 801.1x
> client.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Alan,
maybe this behaviour is "normal" because you want to use a "user"
authentication (you should provide you username and you pwd). However,
somewhere in the network card configuration there is a flag that looks like
"use computer name to authenticate" that should be used when no username/pwd
pairs are available.
I hope this could help you.
I'm trying to setup this environment (more or less) too, but I have found
some problems in mschap module attempting to authenticate a wireless client
using PEAP. Could you tell me something about the configuration you use?
Thanks,
Yuri