Multiple instances

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Fri Oct 14 06:14:33 CEST 2005

> Hello there.
>
> This is probably a stupid question, but how do I run multiple
> instances of radiusd on the same machine, listening on different
> ports?  I have two configuration directories:
>
> /usr/local/etc/raddb
> /usr/local/etc/raddb2
>
> which specify ports 1812 and 1813 respectively, so I thought I'd be
> able to issue the following commands:

1812 is for authentication and 1813 for accounting.  So, if you used the
port configuration in radiusd.conf and set raddb to 1812, it will
automatically use 1813 for accounting.

> radiusd -d /usr/local/etc/raddb
> radiusd -d /usr/local/etc/raddb2

That is the correct way to do that part.

> This doesn't seem to work however, as the second command seems to have
> no effect, ie. I see the first radiusd process running but never the
> second.  Can anyone help please?

Probably because you are trying to set port = 1813 on raddb2, which would
make it listen to 1813 and 1814 - but 1813 is already taken on raddb.

Easiest way to do it is to set raddb with

port = 1812

and raddb2 with

port = 1645

(1645 and 1646 are the old traditional radius ports.  Those are pretty
safe to use since a lot of people still run radius on those ports - you'll
probably still see it commented out in /etc/services)

-Dusty Doris