Wireless Provisioning Service Protocol

Artur Hecker hecker at wave-storm.com
Fri Oct 14 12:17:26 CEST 2005

hi Josh

sorry to catch up so late on this.

> I mean EAP over RADIUS within a roaming consortium. A good example
> of one, which I'm involved in, is eduroam (www.eduroam.org).

i took a look at this, it is mostly TERENA stuff for RADIUS... imho
it only concerns the provider-provider interface and has nothing to
do with WPS from my point of view. sorry, i don't see the point or
the relevance of eduroam inter-provider agreements for the client
provisioning.

> Most of the effort in WPS is expended in provisioning configuration
> stuff (SSID names, etc). But it's reasonably trivial for a roaming
> consortium to agree on these without requiring a protocol like WPS

yes, it targets the user-provider interface.

i'm sorry, but it is all but trivial to agree upon something like
this in any realistic commercial roaming consortium. why? first of
all, because roaming contracts are way too complicated and barely
applicable for most of the current WISPs. second, because SSIDs etc.
as almost anything in WiFi is not normative at all, ie. anybody can
use whatever he wants and the problem is that is what the people
currently do. change it a posteriori is too complicated.

finally and most importantly, as a user you have no guarantee that
the SSID you see represent the service you believe to get. and if you
see two different SSIDs both belonging to commercial hotspots, you
have to be able to find out service particularities _before_
connecting to the network. no aggrement can accomplish that for
802.1X based systems.

and i won't even touch the platform integrity discussion...

ciao
artur