undefined reference 'md4_calc' compile error...

Andrew Teixeira ateixeira at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:06:07 CEST 2005

I don't really understand it either since that is what I thought when
I looked at the libraries being used.  When I looked more closely at
src/lib/libradius.a, it was only 8 bytes long (i.e. not really a
library), but the libradius.a in src/lib/.libs is 223086 bytes and
contains the correct library information.  So, it seems that the
libradius.a file is not being copied correctly (or linked) from
src/lib/.libs to src/lib.  I'm not sure if this has something to do
with my ./configure line or if it has something to do with the
distribution I'm using (Mandriva Linux 10.2).  My configure line is as
follows:

./configure i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr
--exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
--sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include
--libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-static-dependencies --with-gnu-ld
--with-large-files --with-snmp --with-threads --with-thread-pool
--disable-ltdl-install --with-ltdl-lib=/usr/lib
--with-ltdl-include=/usr/include
--with-rlm-sql_postgresql-include-dir=/usr/include/pgsql
--with-rlm-sql_mysql-include-dir=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/mysql --with-rlm-dbm-lib-dir=/usr/lib
--with-rlm-krb5-include-dir=/usr/kerberos/include

I can fix this by patching everything from <path>/lib/libradius.a to
<path>/lib/.libs/libradius.a, but I would rather figure out if I'm
just doing something wrong that is causing this problem or if it is
something in the makefiles, etc.  I'm sure it's something that I have
done that has escaped my attention, but if it was a larger problem I
just wanted to report it.  Thanks for all your help.