Mixed-mode authentication enviornment

Daniel Corbe daniel.junkmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:44:31 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have a FreeRADIUS server authenticating against an LDAP back-end.
Some of my applications (such as my SIP proxy server) currently
require DIGEST-MD5 authentication and others (such as my E-Mail
server, and my Cisco routers) do not.

Ideally I'd like everything to work harmoneously.

Since the SIP server requires DIGEST authentication, the Auth-Type
attribute is present and it is set to DIGEST which forces FreeRADIUS
to attempt a digest authentication.  Once this fails an Access-Reject
packet is sent back to the RADIUS client

Is there a way to configure FreeRADIUS so it first attempts a DIGEST
authentication, and when that fails, we go ahead and attempt normal
authentication?

Thanks.

-Daniel