Maximum size Input-Octets/Output-Octets

Jonathan De Graeve Jonathan.De.Graeve at imelda.be
Fri Sep 23 19:42:08 CEST 2005

>  What "radacct" are you talking about?  The Acct-Input-Octets stops
>at 2G because the RFC dictates that it's a 32-bit integer.  That's why
>the Acct-Input-Gigawords attribute was defined.  It goes past 2G.

I'm talking about the detail file from freeradius.

This is what I found in RFC2869

5.1.  Acct-Input-Gigawords

   Description

      This attribute indicates how many times the Acct-Input-Octets
      counter has wrapped around 2^32 over the course of this service
      being provided, and can only be present in Accounting-Request
      records where the Acct-Status-Type is set to Stop or Interim-
      Update.

So I assumed that the wrapping went @ 4GB instead of 2GB

>From RFC2866:

Value

      The Value field is four octets.

Also:

  integer  32 bit unsigned value, most significant octet first.

So its 32bit. (4GB right??)

I will use 2147483647 for now. But I can't find the definition which
says that it should be 2GB so I need to be sure.

J.