Questions about upgrading Freeradius

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Wed Sep 28 16:58:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Linda Pagillo wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I have been using Freeradius v.0.9.3 for over a year and i wish to
> upgrade to the latest version. Can anyone give me detailed instructions
> on how to do this? I use Freeradius in a prodcution enviroment and i
> can't afford to mess it up. I'm running Linux RedHat 9. Do i just do a
> ./configure, make and make install like i did the first time? If yes,
> won't that overwrite all of my current config files? Thanks!

First, I would recommend setting up a lab machine (you can do it on your
workstation if you need to) to test that your configs work correctly with
the new version.  Its probably backward compatible, but I wouldn't just
blindly upgrade on production and hope for the best.

Then you could compile freeradius with --prefix.  This will put all
configurations, binaries, etc.. into a certain directory.  For example:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius1.0.5
make
make install

When that's done, cd to /usr/local/freeradius1.0.5/etc/raddb and change
your files to make it work like it did in testing.  Shutdown the current
radius version and start up the new one with
/usr/local/freeradius1.0.5/sbin/radiusd -X and see if its working.  If so,
modify your startup scripts to point to the new version instead of the
old.