Crashes with 1.0.4/1.0.5, perhaps connected with slow LDAP backend?

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Sep 28 18:12:56 CEST 2005

Martin Pauly <pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> We do have perfomance problems with our LDAP backend,
> so this sound reasonable, but could this cause the server to crash?

  Yes.  If all of the threads are blocked forever, waiting for the DB
to return data, then the queue of requests grows without bounds.  At
some point, the server says "I'm not making progress, and I can't
recover from this", and kills itself.

  Since the server is *already* effectively dead at that point, it
makes no difference to your network.

  The solution is to fix the database so that it doesn't kill the
server.