Couldn't stop freeradius server!!

lmyho lm_yho at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 18:19:09 CEST 2006

--- monish ar <monish.ar at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Instead of using the command to stop the radius daemon, herez another
> simple way.....
>  At the console type " ps -ax | grep radiusd" , this will give u the list of
> radius servers currently
>  along with its process IDs. The next thing u do is type " kill pid# " ,
> PID# refers to the process
>  id number of ur currently running radius daemon. Hope it helps...
>  Dunno bout the NAS list though...

Hi Monish,

Thank you for the idea!  I checked, and found the process.  but on this debian
system, the process is actually named "freeradius", instead of the traditional
"radiusd".:(  So there are indeed some changes on how the freeradius is run on
debian.  Do you have more idea about it?
Can anyone tell me more on how the debian is running the freeradius and how I can
stop the server from command line in debian system?  (pls see problem detail below)

Thanks a lot!!
leo

> On 4/4/06, lmyho <lm_yho at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Installed freeradius 1.1.0-1 on debian system (2.6.15-1-686).  The radius
> > server started automatically well each time when the system booting. But I
wanted to stop it to do some testing using my modified configuration files. I tried
to stop the server using command: 'freeradius stop' ('radiusd' doesn't work on this
debian - anyone knows why??)

> > But so werid, no matter what command I gave, with parameter
> > stop|start|restart, the server ALWAYS goes to START again!! even from the
/etc/init.d/freeradius I can read that the 'stop' param should stop the server!  Can
anyone tell me why the command couldn't stop the server?? and how should I stop it??

> > The log file shows entries like this for each of my trying, even the
> > command given was to "stop":
> >
> > Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support
> > for this will go away soon.
> > Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Error: There appears to be another RADIUS
> > server running on the authenticat
> >
> > What is happenning here?  (I couldn't top the running deamon, so is the
> > 2nd line above)
> >
> > Also, from the log file I noticed: even when the system automatically
> > started the freeradius server deamon, it was "Using deprecated naslist file".
Log entries show like this: