Can you use TLS and Request users authentication as well

Walter Reynolds waltr at umich.edu
Tue Apr 18 15:56:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

What I am trying to figure out is a way to not only have a certificate,
but a secondary way to verify that that certificate is being used by a
person we allow.  If we put cert onto a machine, we have authenticated
that the cert was trusted.  The problem is coming from a university, we do
not have a way to control a users machine.  So a user could take that
certificate and put it onto a friends machine.  This friend may not be
affiliated and should not have access.  So I would like to use the cert as
machine authentication and then follow up with another (username/pass)
using the KRB module.

Is this something that can be done?  Has anyone run into a similar problem
and what did they do?  I know we could go TTLS and not have a machine
cert, but then we get fears of man-in-the-middle.

Thanks.

-- Walter Reynolds
    University of Michigan