Reject packet with zero length

muralidhar.gangaraju at wipro.com muralidhar.gangaraju at wipro.com
Sun Aug 13 14:44:06 CEST 2006

Hi all,

            We are using FreeRADIUS server for one of our requirements
and we saw freeradius server sending a reject packet with zero length
attributes.
            Could anybody of u can help me in understanding in what
circumstances FreeRadius server will send a reject packet with zero
length attributes in between the access challenges OR access requests.
In the normal scenario when the password or certificate mismatch is
found the FreeRADIUS sends an access-Reject packet with EAP-Message and
message Authenticator.
But in the below case it does not send any attributes.

            One such instance where we observed radius server sending
reject packet with zero attributes is as follows.

Going to the next request
Cleaning up request 17 ID 243 with timestamp 44dd6e90
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 246 to 10.201.114.29:1050
Waking up in 4 seconds...
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.201.114.29:1050, id=165,
length=158
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.201.114.147
        NAS-Port = 2
        Framed-MTU = 1388
        NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
        Service-Type = 128
        Called-Station-Id = "60-c4-b6-48-80-00:"
        Calling-Station-Id = "fc-50-d1-ba-70-00"
        NAS-Port-Id = "fc-50-d1-ba-70-00"
        State = 0xe92296731885b23183f47834fb748272
        User-Name = "root"
        EAP-Message = 0x020500060d00
        Message-Authenticator = 0x035037019647238daa63c6f29829afd2
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 20
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 20
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 20
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "root", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"

Please let me know if u need any more information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
G Muralidhar Raju.

www.wipro.com