openser and AD

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Aug 21 02:45:16 CEST 2006

Artur Hayne <arturhayne at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> I have a big problem that seams dont have solution. I have a openser
> server that should autenticated the users from Active Directory
> trough the FreeRadius. The session of FreeRadius and Active
> Directory is stablished, but when the user try autenticate, its dont
> work.

  Active Directory does not supply clear-text passwords to FreeRADIUS.
In many cases, Active Directory doesn't *have* the clear-text passwords.

  Digest authentication is impossible when the passwords are in Active
Directory.  Sorry.

> I see in some tutorials show how authenticate in a domain to use one
> tool called ntlm_auth, but it seams that only work with the mschap
> protocol, and the openser uses the digest.

  Yes.  ntlm_auth will not help you.

>   What to do? Any ideia?

  Use another database, like OpenLDAP or MySQL.  Active Directory is
responsible for making Digest authentication impossible.

>   Its necessarily to do some configuration in the users or another files?

  No.  There is NOTHING you can do except use another database.