auth to LDAP via two mechanisms

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 13:47:35 CEST 2006

Rob Shepherd wrote:

> No clear-text is stored in LDAP. I have MD5 in userPassword and the two
> samba hashes.
> The cisco kit, VPN concentrator and switches etc, supply a clear text
> password at radius. I figured my only option was to PAP-to-LDAP.
>
> Is there an alternative for this situation?

Use an instance of the "pap" module with "encryption_scheme = nt"

modules {
   pap nthashpap {
     encryption_scheme = nt

authorize {
   preprocess
   files
}
authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP {
     nthashpap

...however, you will need:

DEFAULT	Auth-Type := PAP

...somewhere, since the PAP module in 1.1.0 (and I think all non-CVS
versions?) does not (irritatingly) set Auth-Type to PAP, and cannot even
run in the authorize section.

Newer versions of the server (CVS) will both auto-detect "{type}hash"
type prefixes in values *and* set the auth-type so you can just do:

modules {
   pap {
     auto_header = yes

authorize {