unix module authentication doesn't work.....

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 22 23:53:33 CEST 2006

Walter Tautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> What I am trying to do:
> ======================
>
> Use the /etc/shadow,/etc/passwd file
> on the server for user authenticatication.
>
> I have configure (on the client)
> /etc/pam.d/common-auth with contents:

  The main problem with PAM RADIUS authentication is that you can't
currently get UID, GID, shell, etc. through the PAM RADIUS module.

> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 129.97.152.227:2770, id=124, length=102
>  	User-Name = "test-walter"
>  	User-Password = "\010\n\rINCORRECT"

  That looks wrong.  Is that actually what you typed?

> rlm_unix: [test-walter]: invalid password

  Which would seem to make sense.

>    WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password. ?  Double-check the shared secret on the server and the NAS!

  It might be a 64-bit issue with the PAM RADIUS module.  See it's
source for details... I haven't really looked at it for a few years
now.