Freeradius crashed on me

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.net
Wed Aug 30 22:29:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a FreeBSD 5.3 box running freeradius. This box also runs sendmail and does e-mail for a small amount (~50) users.

For the past two days I have been trying to rebuild sendmail on this box so it would support SMTP Auth. I have not got that working, but that would be truly off-topic for this list. I'm only mentioning this because it MAY have played a role in what happened with Freeradius. As part of trying to get SMTP Auth working, I installed Cyrus-SASL v2. Again, I have no idea if this has any bearing on what happened with radius or not.

I'm working on sendmail, haven't messed with radius at all, radius has been working fine, then I get a call from a customer about 2:00 - he can't get connected. So I took a look at the radius.log  and saw this:

Wed Aug 30 14:01:37 2006 : Error: radiusd.conf[1299] Failed to link to module 'rlm_counter': Shared object "lib
gdbm.so.3" not found, required by "rlm_counter-1.0.1.so"

So I paniced. At this point radius wasn't working and none of our customers can get connected. I started trying to "fix" things on an emergency basis.

I edited /usr/local/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf and commevnted out my rlm_counter monthly stuff. Then I attempted to restart the radius server. I next got this in radius.log:

Wed Aug 30 14:19:28 2006 : Error: ERROR: Cannot find a configuration entry for module "exec".

So I edited radiusd.conf again and commented out exec in the Instantiate section. I restarted radius and got this in radius.log:

Wed Aug 30 15:07:12 2006 : Error: ERROR: Cannot find a configuration entry for module "expr".

So I edited radiusd.conf again and commented out expr in the Instantiate section. I restarted radius and got this in radius.log:

I restarted radius and got this in radius.log:

Wed Aug 30 15:08:31 2006 : Error: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users[1]: Unexpected trailing comma in check item list f
or entry DEFAULT
Wed Aug 30 15:08:31 2006 : Error: Errors reading /usr/local/etc/raddb/users
Wed Aug 30 15:08:31 2006 : Error: radiusd.conf[1020]: files: Module instantiation failed.

So I edited my users file and removed the DEFAULT entry I had at the top  for monthly time limits. I then restarted radius and now it works.

My question is: What the hell happened? I honestly don't know. I haven't been working on radius or changed anything. What I was doing was installing Cyrus SASL and attempting to rebuild Sendmail.

The only thing I can figure is that while I was messing around with SASL and sendmail I did something with shared libraries? I don't have a clue if this is what happened, but if it is I don't know where to go look to see what's wrong with libraries (if anything).

Help, please? Anyone?

Thanks,

Lisa Casey