Questions about proxy radius on multihomed host

Kostas Zorbadelos kzorba at otenet.gr
Mon Dec 4 09:47:01 CET 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 09:15:54PM -0800, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:
> > on a multihomed Solaris host when radius packets are proxied what is
> > their source IP? Is it IP1 or it could also be IP2?
>
>   Uh... that's up to the OS.

That's what I also thought. This would have to do with the TCP/IP
implementation in the kernel...

> There are patches pending against CVS head
> that should fix this.

In a portable way?

> > I took a look at the sources where I see that in proxy.c a rad_send()
> > is used to actually send the packet. rad_send() uses sendto() unless
> > WITH_UDPFROMTO is defined in which case sendfromto() is used. In my
> > case, WITH_UDPFROMTO is undefined.
>
>   That only matters for packets being received by the server, not
> packets it's sending.

I am reffering to proxy_send in proxy.c

/*
 *	Relay the request to a remote server.
 *	Returns:
 *
 *      RLM_MODULE_FAIL: we don't reply, caller returns without replying
 *      RLM_MODULE_NOOP: caller falls through to normal processing
 *      RLM_MODULE_HANDLED  : we reply, caller returns without replying
 */
int proxy_send(REQUEST *request)

>From what I can see it has to do with the packets relayed by the
server to the remote home server in proxy mode.

> > Can I assume that outgoing packets use as source address the one
> > listed in the listen directive?
>
>   If that's the only IP used, yes.  Otherwise, it's up to the OS to
> determine the best source IP for an outgoing packet.

Thanks Alan.

--
  Kostas Zorbadelos
  m at il contact: kzorba (at) otenet.gr

  Out there in the darkness, out there in the night
  out there in the starlight, one soul burns brighter
  than a thousand suns.