Help ocnfiguring freeradius to handle a cisco aeronet 1200 with peap and mschap2

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 13 23:18:50 CET 2006

Joseph Silverman wrote:
> in order to allow plain-text passwords to correctly work from a wifi
> client

  The debug log you posted shows the clients doing PEAP.  There are NO
plaintext passwords in PEAP.  The server MUST have access to either the
plaintext password, or the NT hash form, for PEAP to work.

> Till the upgrade, I had to include the already encrypted password (with
> leading {crypt} or {ssha}) as the password on the client.   Meaning, for
> one, that whenever a user changed their password through some means or
> another, they have to get ahold of the "encrypted" version of their
> password from the LDAP database and use that for their wireless
> connections.  Unpleasant.

  And the only way to get PEAP to work.  See:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

>  I read about auto_header and it implied that by upgrading, I could get
> the whole thing to use unecrypted passwords (which would be generally
> simpler for our users) instead.  This failed to work.  Something
> mis-configured, or possibly not doable?!

  It's impossible.  See the above web page.

> Sending Access-Challenge of id 39 to 192.168.43.106 port 1645
>         EAP-Message = 0x010600061900
>         Message-Authenticator = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
>         State = 0x7c82b915bfc84d169d053dc47c2c3aa6
> Finished request 4
> Going to the next request
> Waking up in 5 seconds...

  And this is in the FAQ: PEAP doesn't work.