NAS online/offline?

Guy Davies aguydavies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:24:05 CET 2006

A stale session in radacct could happen simply due to the loss of a
udp packet with the accounting information in it.  RADIUS is totally
stateless and has no reliable mechanism for deciding if a user is
present or not.

If simultaneous use relies entirely upon the contents of radacct, it's
very vulnerable to packet loss and also, if you're using multiple
radius servers for authentication/authorization and for accounting,
you may not have access to all the logs anyway.

I was under the impression (possibly falsely) that simultaneous use
relied upon the presence of snmp to function properly (I've certainly
seen warnings when compiling that snmp isn't present so simultaneous
use may not function correctly).

Rgds,

Guy