Problems with number of instances of freeradius

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 21:38:01 CET 2006

Markus.Wintruff at dataport.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> heres my Problem:
>
> we have freeradius on two different architectures: solaris(debian) and intel(debian)
> on solaris/debian freeradius starts with five instances on intel/debian it starts with only one instance.
> If i change the settings in radius.conf there ist no change.

FreeRadius uses threads by default, which is what I assume you're
seeing. I suspect the solaris/debian (ugh!) system is showing you each
thread as a distinct entry in the process list, whereas the linux/debian
is just showing one.

Linux 2.6 kernels show threaded processes as one thread by default. You
can use "ps auxm" to show the threads in this case - the "-" processes
after the main one are the threads. Does this show them?

Alternatively you've compiled them differently and the one on
linux/debian has threading disabled.