Freeradius + Microsoft Active Directory

Natalia Escalera nescalera at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 18:53:20 CET 2006

Hello Mr. DeKok

Thank you for the fast response.  The  password is clear-text.  We are
using ethereal to debug why we are getting "Operations Error" on the
Search Result.  The Operation Errors comment is the following:
"In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed."

The search request on ethereal from Freeradius to the active directory
gives the following:
Message Type: Search Request
Message Length:  96
Response In: 469
Base DN: dc=test, dc=prt
Scope: subtree (0x02)
Derefence: Never (0x00)
Size Limit: 0
Time Limit: 4
Attributes only: False
Filter: (&(objectclass=person)(sAMAccountName=%u))
Attribute: uid ????we are not sending this attribute and we do not
know where it is specified on Freeradius

Here are the settings given for LDAP module on radius.conf and user file:

#radius.conf
ldap {
		server="xxx.xx.xxx.xxx"

		identity ="" # If this is suppose to be the bind dn???

		password = "mypassword"
		basedn ="dc=test,dc=prt"

		#filter = "(uid=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
		filter ="(&(objectclass=person) (sAMAccountName=%u))"

		# set this to 'yes' to use TLS encrypted connections
		# to the LDAP database by using the StartTLS extended
		# operation.
		# The StartTLS operation is supposed to be used with normal
		# ldap connections instead of using ldaps (port 689) connections
		start_tls = no

		# tls_cacertfile	= /path/to/cacert.pem
		# tls_cacertdir		= /path/to/ca/dir/
		# tls_certfile		= /path/to/radius.crt
		# tls_keyfile		= /path/to/radius.key
		# tls_randfile		= /path/to/rnd
		# tls_require_cert	= "demand"

		# default_profile = "cn=radprofile,ou=dialup,o=My Org,c=UA"
		# profile_attribute = "radiusProfileDn"
		access_attr = "dialupAccess"

		# Mapping of RADIUS dictionary attributes to LDAP
		# directory attributes.
		dictionary_mapping = ${raddbdir}/ldap.attrmap

		ldap_connections_number = 5

		timeout =5
		timelimit =4
		net_timeout =2
		compare_check_items = yes

	}

authenticate {

	Auth-Type PAP {
		pap
	}

	Auth-Type CHAP {
		chap
	}

	Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
		mschap
	}

	unix

	Auth-Type LDAP {
		ldap
	}

	eap
}

#users file
	DEFAULT Auth-Type := LDAP
	Fall-Through = 1

Can you please tell us if there is something wrong or if we are
missing something on the configuration files?

Thanks in advance,
Nataly