NAS-identifier instead of IP-identifier

Rich Marriner richard at maingear.net
Thu Jan 5 18:08:49 CET 2006

I don't believe so. Not if you use the NAS-IP-Address attribute.
Traditionally that was used for access servers on the coporate level and
due to the nature of their work they had static IP addresses.  I for one
would not want my APs (if I were deploying a wide area wireless network)
to have dynamic IP addresses.  The administration of that would seem to
become a nightmare unless you use a dynamic dns service, but that seems
kind of corny for a service provider.

I may be talking out my butt, and I don't mean anything by it, I just
wouldn't use dynamic ip addresses for any of my network infrastructure.
Usually static IP address aren't that much more from your upstream provider.

On second thought, what if you created a VPN tunnel from the AP (using,
say OpenWrt) and then you could assign static private IPs to the AP?
Would this work?

I hope this was useful, but somebody else will probably come up with a
lot more intelligent answer.

Richard