SQL Authentication (mainly @Alan!)

florian broder flobroed at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:47:17 CET 2006

Hi.

> WHY was it done like that, i.e. that you HAVE to use a username in sql?
> I am no developer but my guess would be because you have just allowed
> everyone in the world in as long as they know you have a password

correct.

That was just an example by me, you can tell the sql module (sql.conf) to
look for virtually every attribute in an access-request.

You can't config the cisco switch to send the mac as the user?
> That would be the normal behavior.

I told Cisco that too. I'm in contact with them, for this task.

Nortel for example sends the MAC as username/password, no problem with that.

I'd just like to know, if I can use safely my own compiled version (zero
length username on sql allowed), or if I run into problems afterwards, maybe
for accounting etc.
That's why I was asking the developpers here directly. I mean, they must
have had a reason to NOT allow that on sql, while the "normal"
authentication via users file allows that.

Thanks again!

Bye.