Noone anny idea fot --> TLS Athentifikation before Domain Logon XP?

Timothy J. Miller tmiller at mitre.org
Fri Jan 6 20:03:46 CET 2006

Armin Krämer wrote:

> I tried out the registry patch AuthMode with a value of 2 whch causes
> windows to authenticate with the machine certificate only. Then I
> generated a client certificate with openssl with the special OID
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.17.2 which was posted in the mailing list some time ago.
> But with this certificate authentification fails.

The correct OIDs are:

RADIUS server certificate: 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 (TLS Server Authentication)

Client certificate: 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2 (TLS Client Authentication)

> Is there anybody who successfully managed that problem and can describe
> me how he solved this problem step by step. I think the problem is the
> machine certificate.

Bump up Schannel logging to see what's really happening:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL

Key: EventLogging
Value: 4 (log everything)

-- Tim