What is this "group authentication"?

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Fri Jan 6 21:05:03 CET 2006

Hi:

I am trying to use the WinXP supplied supplicant and I am getting:
    modcall: group authenticate returns invalid for request 41

Can someone give me a hint as to what this means?

When I use the WinXP bulitin supplicant in "Automatically use my
Windows login..." mode, Freeradius fails with the group
authentication message.  If I uncheck that and type a login
and password (but not a domain), it works fine.  It never does
any sort of group check.  If I supply a domain, it does the group
check (and fails).  When does it check groups?  What is it
checking?

I am using Freeradius 1.0.5, Sun's DS (with Samba attributes loaded),
and WinXP SP2.

BTW: I am stripping the hostname when doing the user lookups in LDAP
using this:
      filter = "(&(objectclass=person)(uid=%{exec:/etc/ulcmit/raddb/nodomain %{User-Name}}))"
where "nodomain" strips the domain portion.  My LDAP lookups work fine.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.