R: openLDAP vs.mySQL

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Mon Jan 9 18:24:52 CET 2006

> Thank you Dusty,
>
> could you please provide complete URL for your "doc/ldap_howto.txt", I'd a
> look to http://www.freeradius.org/doc/ , but didn't find it.

Hmm, used to be in the doc directory when you untarred the source.  Maybe
its too old now.  Its still up at http://doris.name/radius.  I'm not
actually using distributed directories, its a pretty simple setup here for
me.  Perhaps you can contribute some documentation of your setup when
you've completed it.

> My interest in LDAP is not related to performance but to the scalability
> (distributed directories, referrals, etc...) that it provides compared to
> SQL.
> The system is already working with LDAP as backend database, but only as
> free access. In these day we are developing the prepaid solution for Wi-Fi
> access (scratch cards), but completely with mySQL, because it is simpler to
> use (tables radacct, radcheck, etc... are already built) and develop. As we
> arrive to a stable solution it is my intention to move the authentication
> process to openLDAP.

I'm doing wifi prepaid w/ mysql right now too and I'm in the process of
moving that to ldap.  Once I get it built and documented I'll let you know
how I did it.