Debian + Exec-Program = Zombie process

George Chelidze wrath at geo.net.ge
Tue Jan 17 15:50:19 CET 2006

Rashad Rustamoff wrote:
>>as soon as I send accounting stop packet to radius, test.pl executes and
>>becomes a zombie. (I tried bash script, c program with the same result.)
>>
>> 3890 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/local/freeradius/sbin/radiusd
>> 3893 ?        Z      0:00  \_ [test.pl] <defunct>
>>
>>As far as I know, this should have been fixed in 1.0.3 and I doubt it's
>>debian specific, as I know 0.93 works on another RH 7.3 without a
>>problem (In fact zombie is listed there as well but disappears after
>>several seconds).
>>
>>Any ideas/suggestions?
>

> Did you try version 1.0.1 indeed?
> I had this problem several monthes ago with versions 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, but in
> case of 1.0.1 it works.
> As I know version 1.0.1 hasn't this problem. My server configuration is
> similar with yours: Debian 3.1 (Sarge)

Rashad,

Seems 1.0.1 really works when compiled with --with-threads=yes
(default). However it doesn't with --with-threads=no flag. 1.0.5 doesn't
  in both cases, neither does 1.1.0. At least I found a working version
- 1.0.1 which is not broken. Thanks.

Best Regards to all who helped to eliminate this problem and whole
freeradius team.

George