Radius ip pool

Paul Long plong at ipdialog.com
Fri Jul 7 18:11:14 CEST 2006

FWIW, I had a problem in this area, too. Bottom line: DHCP follows
authentication.

I'm a newbie and just got FreeRADIUS to authenticate my wifi phone for
the first time last night. Yay! Prior to that, I noticed that my phone
wasn't getting an IP address through DHCP and thought that that might be
one reason why my authentication requests were being rejected somehow
(remember, I don't know what I'm doing. I knew that authentication was
happening at the data-link layer, but I thought the lack of an IP
address might be hindering further progress.

Anyway, once I got the FreeRADIUS server to authenticate my phone
(needed 'Auth-Type = Local, User-Password := "123"', not 'Auth-Type :=
Local, User-Password == "123"'; still not sure about those operators,
though), the phone got its network addresses from DHCP! IOW,
authentication must succeed before the phone initiates DHCP. Looking
back, of course this makes sense--through FreeRADIUS, the phone is
granted access to the IP network, on which the DHCP server resides. Duh.

Details:
After burning my fingers (and a colleague's) attempting to build
FreeRADIUS on Linux, I used Win32 version from
http://www.freeradius.net/. Works great.
WAP TKIP EAP-TTLS PAP/CHAP
Used NAS on Netgear WG302
WiFi SIP VoIP phone