Crypt-Password Problem

Christopher Carver ccarver at pennswoods.net
Fri Jul 14 05:06:56 CEST 2006

Quoting Gary.Blydenburgh at interactivedata.com:

> Excuse me if this has been asked before but I am having a hard time finding
> it in the archives.  I have a script that builds a radius users file out of
> a htpasswd file, the password entries are encrypted.  This worked great on
> a Redhat Enterprise AS 3 server running freeradius-0.9.3. I have since had
> to upgrade my linux box (to RHEL 4) and used the version that came with it,
> freeradius-1.0.1.  Now users can not authenticate.
>
> Here is an entry for the user in the USERS file:
>
> juser  Auth-Type := Local, Crypt-Password == "H25nfgL4rCxBY"
>         Service-Type = Framed-User,
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP,

Here is the problem in your debugging data.

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 172.24.0.14:36180, id=72,
length=46
        User-Name = "user"
        User-Password = "password"

The password is coming through as User-Password, NOT Crypt-Password.  So, it
matches nothing in the users file.  Furthermore, probably in plain text not
encrypted form like you expect.

Chris Carver
Network Engineer