Using mschap authentication without EAP

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 13:10:12 CEST 2006

Giuseppina Venezia wrote:
> Hi, i'm using freeradius-1.1.2 with openldap for storing users account,
> for authenticate a WI-FI LAN.
> I need of a transparent authentication method since for the clients are
> heterogeneous so i can't use any type of EAP* authentication because I
> cannot install Xsupplicant on every Client.

If you mean 802.1x authentication, I don't think you understand how it
works. All 802.1x (link layer) authentication methods use EAP, so all
clients must have SOME kind of supplicant.

Non-802.1x authentication is normally done via some kind of web-based
login. Google for "captive portal" or "walled garden". The auth types
you can use with a captive portal depend on the captive portal. See the
docs for your portal.

> Can I use mschap authentication for this and there are some specific
> documentation ?,i've searched a lot but i haven't found exhaustive
> documentation.
> And if I cannot use mschap, are there others solution for wi-fi
> authentication via LDAP?

I'm afraid this doesn't make sense to me. Can you describe in more
detail what you're trying to do?