Binding FreeRadius to the DHCP Server

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Jul 26 12:17:28 CEST 2006

Hi Josh,

> I'm sure I've seen at least a couple of other similar DHCP queries in
> the last couple of weeks. I wonder how difficult it would be to add a
> simple DHCP client to FreeRADIUS?

Thanks for the on-topic question, I was already fearing a flamewar coming up.

I guess if you really want to this, you could use rlm_perl or
Exec-Program-Wait, write a script that uses the client's MAC address to
generate a fake DHCP query (assumption: the DHCP server or a relay is on the
FR server's LAN), listen to the DHCP server's response, encapsulate this
answer back into the Framed-IP-Address attribute and that's it (leaving out
all the really painful stuff with expiring leases, renewals and whatnot; it
would be a non-trivial task).

The remaining question really is: Why on earth would you _want_ to do that?
rlm_ippool exists and works.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg